Pool Info: Foamy Pool Water
Several factors can contribute to foaming in pools:
- Soft water from low calcium hardness levels.
- High TDS levels.
- Lotions, oils and cosmetics.
- Cheap pool chemicals made with animal fats.
- Pool filters clogged with oils and minerals.
- Poor water balance.
- Low grade algaecides, specifically10% polymers.
- Tile cleaning chemicals containing phosphates.
- Use of aeration (air jets) in biguanide treated pools.
- Air in the system, from pump air leaks or cavitation.
- Practical jokers with a box of soap!
Correcting the above conditions can reduce or eliminate foaming. Chitin products like Sea-Klear can prevent or eliminate foaming from occurring. Enzyme products are also very effective anti-foam agents. The best solution for foamy pools is to balance the water and shock the pool to break apart the peptide bonds.
Anti-foaming agents are available, but these will not remove the conditions that cause foaming, they only temporarily inhibit the foam. Anti-foaming agents can contain insoluble oils, silicones, or certain alcohol formulations – in short, chemicals that are not desirable in your swimming pool.