Pool Info: Pool Ozone Facts
What Is Ozone?
- Ozone is "active oxygen," nature's element. Each ozone molecule consists of 3 oxygen atoms.
- Ozone is a natural purifier.
- Ozone is created in nature by the combination of oxygen in air and the ultraviolet rays of the sun or by the corona discharge during a lightning storm.
- Ozone has a clean, fresh scent noticed after a rainstorm.
- Ozone is the most powerful oxidizer that can be safely used.
- Ozone is the alternative water purifier to traditional chemicals such as chlorine and bromine.
What Does Ozone Do?
- The Ozone layer in the atmosphere protects the earth from deadly radiation from the sun.
- Ozone destroys bacteria, viruses, mold, and mildew.
- Ozone eliminates spores, cysts, yeast, and fungus.
- Ozone oxidizes iron, sulfur, manganese and hydrogen sulfate.
- It eliminates oils and other contaminants in water.
- Eliminates odors in air, such as smoke.
- Keeps water clean, sparkling clear, and fresh.
Ozone Is Healthy!
- Ozone leaves no chemical by-products in water.
- Ozone leaves no chemical taste or smell.
- Ozone will not burn eyes or make them red or irritated.
- Ozone will not irritate or dry out skin, nose, or ears.
- Ozone will not leave a chemical film on material or skin.
- Ozone will not discolor or damage hair or clothing.
- Ozone adds no contaminants or by-products to water.
- Ozone rids water and air of unhealthy microorganisms.
- Ozone is NOT a carcinogen.
Where Is Ozone Used?
- In Nice, France in 1906, the first water purification plant to use ozone was built.
- Los Angeles, California has the largest ozone drinking water treatment plant in the world.
- Most bottled water is purified by ozone.
- Ozone is used to clean waste water and toxic waste.
- Ozone purifies water in well and home drinking water systems.
- Ozone systems have brought life back to "dead" contaminated lakes and pools.
- Ozone is used to purify air in hotel rooms, boats, RVs, cars, and smoke/fire damaged structures.
- Ozone is used in thousands of residential and commercial pools and spas all over the world.
Who Is Del Industries?
- Del Industries is widely considered the leader in U.S. Ozone equipment manufacturing. They are noted for having paved the way for acceptance across broad categories. Del recently installed their equipment in the World's Largest water treatment Ozonator plant. Del has been ranked first in product safety and performance with Underwriters Laboratory (UL), Edison Testing Labs (ETL) and the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) certifications.
How Is Ozone Made?
Ozone Is Safe for the Environment as well as Equipment
- Ozone will not explode.
- Ozone is not a fire hazard.
- In the dose required for excellent purification, ozone does not produce harmful fumes.
- Ozone will not damage plumbing fittings, pipes, or equipment.
Ozone Is Convenient in Pools and Spas
- Ozone does not have to be purchased or stored. Ozone is generated on site and is introduced into the water or air automatically.
- Ozone does not affect the pH balance of water, thus minimizing pH adjustments.
- Ozone helps reduce total dissolved solids in water so that the water does not have to be changed as often.
- Ozone eliminates much of the routine maintenance because it does such an effective job keeping the water clean.
- Ozone is just Really Cool Stuff!